Announcing ACEN/ARC-PA Joint Accreditation
for Advanced Practice Provider Postgraduate Program
Call for Comments on Standards and Policies
Recognizing the desire for accreditation of Advanced Practice Providers (APP) residency programs, and the reality of dual enrolling residency program, the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) are proud to announce that we have partnered to offer APP Postgraduate Programs the opportunity to be simultaneously accredited for nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistants (PA). This collaboration has been intentional and thorough to ensure the highest standard of quality and excellence in clinical specialty training for Advanced Practice Providers (APPs).
Accreditation Commission on Education in Nursing (ACEN)
The ACEN is a United States Department of Education (USDE) and Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) recognized accreditor. As the original and longest-serving nursing education accrediting agency, ACEN is the leading authority in nursing accreditation and is committed to quality improvement.
Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA)
The ARC-PA is the only independent accrediting body authorized to accredit qualified physician assistant educational programs leading to the professional credential, PA. ARC-PA is a CHEA recognized accreditor and has a history of accrediting PA residency programs since 2008, with a period of abeyance, and reinstated the process in 2019.
Value of Accreditation
- Ensures education provided by institutions meets acceptable levels of quality through its accreditation process by establishing and maintaining standards of quality for educational program.
- Encourages institutions and programs to continuously evaluate and improve their processes and outcomes.
- Helps prospective APP trainees identify programs that meet nationally accepted standards.
- Protects Postgraduate PA Programs from internal and external pressures to make changes that are not educationally sound.
- Involves program faculty and administrative staff in comprehensive self-assessment, evaluation, and planning.
- The ACEN/ARC-PA accreditation process is accomplished through one set of APP Standards, application, and site visit.
- The APP Accreditation Standards establish educational standards to foster excellence in APP programs serving NPs and PAs. The APP Accreditation Standards are not prescriptive and allow for flexibility of the program to meet the needs of the sponsoring organization and community served.
- The ACEN/ARC-PA Joint Commission will have collaborating organizations to establish, maintain, and promote appropriate standards of quality for residency program that include NPs and PAs and to provide recognition for APP residency programs that meet the requirements outlined in the APP Standards.
- The ACEN/ARC-PA policies, procedure, and process are transparent, guided by peers and contemporary practice, and have an intentional focus on outcomes.
- APP Postgraduate Provisional Conference offers an opportunity for APP Postgraduate Programs interested in applying for accreditation. This conference will provide an orientation to the Standards, address completing the application, preparing for the initial site visit, and give participants the opportunity to ask questions.
CALL FOR COMMENTS
ACEN/ARC-PA Standards and Criteria
The ACEN and ARC-PA welcome public feedback on the proposed Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Accreditation Standards for ACEN/ARC-PA joint accreditation and the ACEN/ARC-PA Joint Accreditation Policies.
To view and/or comment on the ACEN/ARC-PA APP Joint Accreditation Standards and Criteria, please visit acenursing.org/proposed-app-standards
To view and/or comment on the ACEN/ARC-PA APP Joint Accreditation Policies, please visit acenursing.org/proposed-app-policies
Interested parties have the opportunity to offer comments from February 13, 2023 to March 16, 2023.
For more information about the ACEN/ARC-PA joint accreditation process for APP Postgraduate Programs, please contact [email protected].