ACEN Accreditation Manual – Section II Policies
Transfer of Credit (ACEN TITLE IV GATEKEEPER PROGRAMS ONLY)
APPLIES ONLY TO GOVERNING ORGANIZATIONS/NURSING PROGRAMS FOR WHICH THE ACEN SERVES IN A TITLE IV FINANCIAL AID GATEKEEPER CAPACITY.
At its discretion, a governing organization and/or nursing program may accept transfer credit for a course or courses completed in other postsecondary governing organizations when comparable in scope and content to the governing organization and/or nursing program’s own coursework. The acceptance of credit for transfer is primarily based on the competencies achieved by the student in previously completed coursework and whether the competencies reasonably align with the coursework and the nursing program into which the credit is to be transferred.
Accreditation of the governing organization and/or nursing program from which the student is seeking to transfer credits may be a consideration for credit transfer decisions; however, accreditation of the governing organization and/or nursing program from which the student is seeking to transfer credits may not be the sole basis for accepting or denying credit for transfer, nor should it be represented as a requirement of the ACEN.
In evaluating credit earned by students for transfer, a governing organization and/or nursing program must adhere to the following:
- Have established appropriate criteria by the governing organization for the acceptance of transfer credits from another governing organization (institution) including any types of institutions or sources from which the institution will not accept credits;
- Have established appropriate criteria for the acceptance of transfer credits including, at a minimum, the currency, comparability, relevancy to degree and/or nursing program, calculation of credit (e.g., clock hours to semester or quarter hours), and grade earned for the course or courses to be transferred.
- Apply a systematic, consistent process for determining whether to accept credit earned at other governing organizations.
- Document in the permanent student record the basis on which the transfer credit was accepted and identification of the governing organization from which the credit was transferred.
- Written criteria used to evaluate and award credit for prior learning experience including, but not limited to, service in the armed forces, paid or unpaid employment, or other demonstrated competency or learning (e.g., DANTES, CLEP, ACE, AP Exams, IB, military education/experience). Note, credit for prior learning experience information may be a standalone policy or may be part of another policy such as a transfer of credit policy.
- A list of institutions with which the institution has established an articulation agreement.
The governing organization and/or nursing program must publish its transfer-of-credit policy, including clear communication of the criteria and process for evaluating and accepting credit for transfer earned at other governing organizations, in all documents (paper and electronic) that serve to inform the public.
Policy #25 History
Revised April 2014
Revised March 2016
Edited July 2020
Revised July 2022